A sliding saw or a miter compound saw is an electric power tool that owns the versatility of compound miter saws and a sliding feature, similar to a radial arm saw, allowing you to move the blade forward and backward (slide). The major advantage of the sliding saw’s features is in the increased length of the cut it provides. A sliding model can do just about everything a stationary one can, but the sliding function greatly increases the cutting capacity of the tool in terms of the thickness of material it can handle.
Why do you need a sliding saw?
When you need to cut very thick materials like fencing posts, you’ll need to use a sliding compound miter saw because a regular miter saw just isn’t able to handle this type of task. A sliding miter saw will do a better job in handling larger, heavy-duty jobs and also in cutting wider materials.
Sliding saws are the kings of power miter saws, and are the ones that are chosen by professionals & contractors who do a lot of woodworking and a whole lot of DIY home improvement projects. They are the most expensive tools but very much needed too.
Almost anyone who does any amount of woodworking will certainly have one of these in their workshop.
The general advantages of sliding saws revolve around their versatility
- Sliding saws can cut through longer lengths of wood.
- The sliding function greatly increases the cutting capacity of the tool in terms of the thickness of material it can handle.
- Dual bevel option makes a lot of sense as it saves you having to turn long lengths of wood around in confined spaces.
- A compound sliding miter saw allows you to easily make cuts that are difficult to cut using the conventional table saws.
The 5 Best Sliding Saw Reviews – Our Top Picks
- Powerful 15 Amp, 3,800 rpm motor, tall sliding fences, and exclusive back fence design, adjustable stainless steel miter detent plate with 13 positive stops, oversized bevel scale, compact, lightweight design.
- A dual bevel sliding compound miter saw.
- Adjustable miter detent plate allows users to quickly adjust the saw to maintain accuracy.
- This saw is easy to transport and store without compromising on durability.
- Dual horizontal steel rails with linear ball bearings deliver accuracy and durability.
- This saw does not cut a 2 x 14 with the standard set up.
- Powerful 15-amp, 3,800 rpm motor
- Tall sliding fences and exclusive back fence design for increased cutting capacity
- Adjustable stainless steel miter detent plate with 13 positive stops
- Miters 60 degrees to the right and 50 degrees to the left for increased capacity
- Compact, lightweight design (51 lbs.) for easy transport and storage
The DEWALT DWS709 12″ Slide Compound Miter Saw features a powerful 15 Amp, 3,800 rpm motor that delivers extended power and durability. It has tall sliding fences that support the crown molding up to 5-1/2″ nested and base molding up to 4-1/2″ vertically against the fence, while easily sliding out of the way for bevel cuts.
An exclusive back fence design cuts up to 2×14 dimensional lumber at 90 degrees, and 2×10 at 45 degrees. This saw offers an adjustable stainless steel miter detent plate with 13 positive stops which improves productivity and ensures cutting accuracy. Miters 60 degrees to the right and 50 degrees to the left providing increased capacity.
The oversized bevel scale makes bevel angle adjustments accurate and very easy. This saw also features a compact, lightweight design (51 lbs.) that allows for easy transport and storage. It has dual horizontal steel rails with linear ball bearings that deliver an accurate, durable and compact saw. The precise miter system and machined base fence support optimize its durability and cutting accuracy.
All In all, a great saw with a great price. Absolutely a great value!
Up-front bevel lock lever and range selector knob for easily accessed controls for bevel settings, large 25-1/2-inch base with built-in cast sliding extensions for 40-inch total length, easily readable bevel and miter scales for easy setting of accurate bevel and miter angle, amperage is 15 and voltage is 120, electric brake for quick, repetitive cuts and ability to stop blade in seconds
- Large 25-1/2-Inch Base for Power and Versatility
- Easy Adjustments for Accuracy
- Multiple Miter Detents for Precise Angles
- No exhaust system
- Up-front bevel lock lever and range selector knob for quick, accurate bevel settings
- Large 25-1/2-inch base with built-in cast sliding extensions for 40 inches of total length
- Tall 4-1/2-inch speed-track sliding fences for easy bevel setup and crown molding
- Electric brake and carbide-tipped blade allow for quick, clean cuts
- One-year limited warranty
Powered by a 15-amp motor, this Dual-Bevel Slide Miter Saw can accommodate a range of material sizes. It features a 25-1/2-inch base with built-in cast sliding extensions for a total length of 40 inches, as well as tall 4-1/2-inch speed-track sliding fences for easy bevel set-ups and increased crown molding cutting capabilities. For quick, repetitive cuts, an electric brake stops the blade in seconds. The 60-tooth, thin-kerf, carbide-tipped blade provides more precise cuts and stays sharper longer. Its visible bevel and miter scales, and a miter detent override make for quick angle setting and adjustments. The saw offers bevel stops and detents at 0, 33.9, and 45 degrees on the left and right.
Check out the video on Bosch 5312 12-Inch Dual Bevel Slide Compound Miter Saw
One of the most accurate, durable, fast to use, and easy to carry compound miter saws! Also, the Bosch Dual-Bevel Slide Miter Saw is backed by a manufacturer’s one-year limited warranty. Excellent value for the woodworker!
Versatile multipurpose cutting technology, ultra-high grade 28-tooth tungsten carbide tipped blade, a hi-torque motor, optimized gearbox, 45 degrees L&R miter system with 9 positive stops, 0-45 degree bevel tilt, set for grooving / trenching, a 300mm slide mechanism, laser guide provides even greater productivity & accuracy, Multipurpose; cuts steel, aluminum, wood and plastics using a single blade, 2000 watt (soft start) / 15 amp motor.
- Very well built
- Its cutting speed compared to a 12″ or 14″ abrasive saw is many times faster
- Multipurpose; cuts steel, aluminum, wood and plastics using a single blade
- Annoying soft start
- Multi-purpose: cuts steel, aluminum, wood and plastics
- 2500 RPM no load
- 2000-Watt (soft start)/15 Amp motor
- Laser guide
- Compound tilt and slide mechanism
- Includes 10 in. rage 3 multi-purpose cutting blade, 28 teeth
- 1 in. blade arbor
- Optional specialty blade available for tile cutting
Multi-purpose miter saw that is capable of cutting steel, aluminum, wood with nails in and plastics with just one blade. When cutting through steel, the rage 3 cuts cold, no coolant is required. The material is cold so it can be handled and worked on immediately. A combination of a high-torque motor and gearbox, heavy-duty construction and ultra-high grade TCT blade enables the rage 3 to cut materials which simply weren’t possible before. A blade can cut up to 750 cuts in 2×2 mild steel box section before a replacement is required. Includes Evolution’s 3-year warranty.
Check out the video
Why should you buy sliding saw that cuts only wood, when you can buy one that cuts through everything!
15 amp motor, 5500 RPM, Bevels 0 to 45Degree left, Miters 52Degree both directions, Cut 3.25 x 11.5-Inch board, 60-tooth carbide-tipped blade.
- Perfect for making thick and deep cuts
- Easily lightweight for improved mobility
- Designed with reputable density
- Functions with excellent spinning force
- Cuts with remarkable accuracy
- The design is below average
- Insulation may produce a burning smell
- Model Number: 70716
- Input Power: 120V, 60Hz, 15A
- No Load Speed: 5500 RPM
- Blade Size: 10″ x 5/8″ bore
- Number of teeth: 60
- MiterTable Angles: 0° to 52° Left & Right
- Bevel Cuts: 0° to 45° Left only
- Weight: 29.7 lb
Are you looking for saw that can cut through a difficult board of 3.25 inches of thickness? The answer is the WEN 70716 10-Inch Sliding compound miter saw. The secret behind the power of this miter saw lies in its effective motor. The 15 amps motor attains a top spinning speed of 5500 rpm within seconds. You require such power and an extremely efficient blade if you are going to cut through thick boards with ease and precision.
This compound miter saw is invented to help you get premium results for straight, compound, miter, and bevel cuts on different kinds of workpieces. It has a highly powerful motor that spins at 5500 rpm, which suffices for some of the hardest cuts at the workplace. It has many distinct ergonomic qualities and mobility. Any money invested in this compound saw is cash wisely invested.
Spinning at 4,800 revolutions per minute, 15.0 Amp motor that delivers high torque, 60 carbide teeth.
- 60 carbide teeth give the 10-inch saw blade more life and bite than others
- sliding adjustment
- Laser Trac not only gives you an accurate cut line but doesn’t ever run out of batteries
- Aluminum construction is durable and easy to move from home to job site
- dust builds up on the rails/guides
- Blade Diameter (In) :10
- Motor Brushes: Consumer replaceable
- Motor Brake : Yes
- Amps: 15.0
- Motor Voltage: 120
- RPM: 4800
- Detent Base : Yes
- Arbor Type : Standard
- Compound Miter: Yes
- Miter Index: 0-50 deg. left/right
- Arbor Size: 5/8 in
- Cut Depth At 90 Degrees: 3-5/8 x 12 in.
- Cut Depth At 45 Degrees: 3-5/8 in.
- Align-a-Cut: No
- Miter Detents: 0, 15, 22-1/2, 31.6 and 45 deg. left/right
- Bevel Index: 0, 33.9, and 45 deg. Left only
- Blade Bevel Range: 0 to 45 deg. Left only
The perfect way to save money on any job, the Craftsman 10′ sliding compound miter saw uses smaller, easy-to-maintain blades than larger models, but this saw still delivers the reach to spin through boards up to 12 inches wide. Perfect for quick work, this saw features a Laser Trac that clearly lines up with your pencil marks for fast work and when you’re looking to cut precision miters, the built-in clamping system gives you that exact angle every time. The Craftsman 10″ compound miter saw delivers precision and versatility that you can count on.
This is a terrific value for the money. It performs as well if not better than other brands costing up to twice as much. It is easy to use and has safety first features.